Interested in being one of The CalmCoolCollective’s little chickens? We would love that!
The theme for next zine is Food Justice. Submissions are due noon PDT on July 5, 2021.
Our objective is to begin a conversation around the ways food is commodified to the detriment of People of Color and cash-poor folks . Does your work bring attention to waste? Does your work speak to community self-determination and the ways we can self-sustain? Do you have a poem or writing that is about the food you love– a family recipe, survival meal, comfort foods? We want work that addresses factory farming, diet culture, food waste, food deserts, community gardens, kitchens and food sharing. We would love to hear from you! Also we love comedy, so if you have something tongue in cheek around these topics, please get in touch!
Writing: poetry, personal essays, fictional stories.
Visual Art: photography, illustration, typography, or any art that can be conveyed 2 dimensionally (example: a photo of a sculpture)
We will be a digital zine only and we are navigating the possibility of embedded video or sound. If you have a piece that falls into this category, please send us a link to your work. In order to embed your piece it would need to already be on a platform like Vimeo, Soundcloud or hosted on your own site.
We welcome people of all diverse experiences, abilities and communities to submit their work. Your voice is important, and we would like to support it. The more voices we hear, the more we can learn from one another.
1. Please title your email submissions using the following: “CCC Submission – Issue ___ – [Your name as it should appear in the issue if accepted] – Title of Submission”
2. If submitting a collection of works, please submit all in one email with the name of the collection as the title.
3. Art submissions: Please send images that are exported for screen in any of these formats PNG, JPG, SVG, PDF, or TIF.
4. Longform written submissions: the maximum word count for submissions is 1000 words. Please submit as a word document or using Google Docs.
5. Please include your website in the body of your message as well if you would like us to include it with your submission.
Please send all submissions to TheCalmCoolCollectiveLA@gmail.com Note that gmail only allows up to 25mb for attachments, please send images that are exported for screen in any of these formats PNG, JPG, SVG, PDF, or TIF
We kindly request submissions are limited to one or two works, and please have patience with us in responding to new emails–we promise to reply to each and every one. If you have not received a response three days after the submissions close, it may not have reached us. Please follow up.
Please note: The CalmCoolCollective is a student-based project that does not turn a profit, so unfortunately we cannot offer monetary compensation at this time. All our writers and artists volunteer their time and work to us and we understand that sometimes that model doesn’t work for everyone. We believe in fair and equal work for all and are hoping to rectify this in the future if we are able to receive grant funding.